Tuesday 13 January 2015

Evaluation Draft

Evaluation Draft Question 1: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? Here I will be discussing on the ways my media product uses, develops and challenges the forms and conventions of real media products from analysing my media product(front cover, DPS, Contents page), case studies of real magazines, print screens, codes of the genre (colour scheme, brightness etc.) and the genre music. My media product is a music magazine. It discusses in terms of music; new upcoming artists, top 10 charts, music related outside research, reviews on concerts/tours of artists related towards the magazines specific genre. Target audience is between the ages of 16-24. The genre of my magazine is Dance/House. This genre consists of party and clubbing which is relevant to a range of people. This genre is very fun and energetic which has contrasted with the techniques used on the magazine (colour scheme). This genre is very different from other genres of music such as R&B, Pop etc., also there are not enough magazines which promote this genre of magazine yet its tracks are number one. The colour scheme for my magazine is Orange, Blue and white. These colours were chosen purposely because I think that they are bright; show a feeling of fun and happiness also they link within the genre music of my magazine (Dance/House) which is very live and energetic which these colours represent. This is the house style of my magazines front cover. The wide circle is the model, the masthead is BASS which will be in front of a box in the colours chosen for the colour scheme, all the blue boxes are of all the features which will be mentioned on the front cover and the contents page, the purple box will be of the name of my artist/model as the main cover line. The language of my magazine is formal yet slang as my target audience will be towards 16-24 year olds therefore, the language has to relate towards the language teenagers use on for instance social networks like Facebook and Twitter and also the use of language young adults use in their daily life which will be more formal. I made the model pose in a way her age (Teenager age 16) would pose if they were at a photoshoot also making her look happy as she has succeeded in being at the top of the charts and also being the queen of Dance music 2014. In the case study, I had to analyse the magazines front cover, contents page, DPS and their press pack of 2014. By investigating the magazines it helped me see the developments in which I would have done for my magazines. Also from the press pack, viewing their audience it made me decide upon my target audience 16-24 years old, coming from a famous Dance/Electro magazine I would use their demographics of audience into my magazine. For the extra research, I print screened real magazines such as Clash to see closely on their layout of the three concepts of the magazine. I print screened contents pages to identify their skills but also making changes and developments into how I would create my contents page, making it better than the magazine as I want my magazine out of all the magazines that are related towards the genre music of Dance/House to stand out. I made the model pose in a way her age (Teenager age 16) would pose if they were at a photoshoot also making her look happy as she has succeed in being at the top of the charts and also being the queen of Dance music 2014.My media product is a music magazine. It discusses in terms of music; new upcoming artists, top 10 charts, music related outside research, reviews on concerts/tours of artists related towards the magazines specific genre. Target audience is between the ages of 16. The genre of my magazine is Dance/House. This genre consists of party and clubbing which is relevant to a range of people. This genre is very fun and energetic which has contrasted with the techniques used on the magazine (colour scheme). This genre is very diferent from other genres of music such as R&B, Pop etc, also there are not enough magazines which promote this genre of magazine yet its tracks are number one. For my front cover, I had made changes from the inspiration (mixmag).This was done by adding more texts /features onto the front cover to tease the audience more on whats inside the magazine. I also used the inspiration of the colour scheme making the magazine look vibrant like mixmag. Also adding a regular item of a free mixtape related towards the music genre to the audience in wanting to but the magazine. For the contents page I developed from the inspiration of Clash magazines contents page studied from my case studies. Instead of listing all the features that will be included in the magazine and adding a few images. I had added all the features from the front cover mentioned and also images that linked with all the features other than only using three images that Clash had used on their contents page. Also I used my colour scheme to add more colour and dimension to the magazine other than Clash using Black and white which was dull with also their use of image. The layout of my double page spread was influenced from the layout of the DPS in Clash magazine. As it is very simple and well organised yet very modern. I did develop on into using or making certain quotes that were mentioned on the front cover in bold or bigger so the audience would know where it appears in to the interview written above or below. And it shows what question the quote was answered from. On the other hand, Clash magazines double page spread is similar to its contents page them with its colour scheme being quite dull however certain images do add colour onto its page. For my DPS (double page spread) I also stuck to the colour scheme of the magazine as it makes the magazine look presentable and makes the magazine flow, also it contrast with the main model for my magazine (the artist) wear, make-up etc. Question 2 - How does media product represent particular social groups? Use brief notes on the requirements needed to add for question 2 as it is a vlog (video). Social class – working Audience – 16-24 years old Ethnicity – none Question 3 – What kind of media institutions might distribute your media product and why? My magazine includes social online media networks such as, Instagram, Twitter and a online magazine website. These social online networks will keep the audience/readers of the magazine updated with the latest news/ upcoming news that the magazine will hold. It will also keep the magazine in touch with its audience. Publisher for my magazine will be Hearsts as it has published many magazines in the world such as Elle. Which has developed and overthrown many fashion magazines. By Hearts publishing my magazine will make its variety of style improve or increase as it will be music genre. Hearst publication has a promoted magazines with the genre of; Fashion, Health, Sports and Interior Designs. They have not promoted a music magazine however; will for my magazine as it introduces them into a new audience and more buyers as music is a popular genre today. For my hard copies of my magazine, I intend on distributing my magazine at Tesco, WH Smith and local shops such as CO- Operatives. I chose these distributers because in London (the location in which my magazine will be based upon), these are the most popular in which my target audience are well known for being the consumers towards. Question 4- Who would be the audience for your media product? The press pack/Kit shows that the majority are males whom read/buy the magazine, Twitter is their most viewed/followed social network than Instagram, London is the where most of their audience buy/read their magazine and lastly their target audience range from 21-30 years old. 21-25 years old are the majority whom buy/read their magazine (37%). The audience are of the ages from 16 -24, they are listeners of the music genre (Dance/House). The audience are from the UK, they are of a working class and are both genders related as my magazine promotes to both sexes. Also, as my magazines music genre is very popular and tries to involve everyone into this genre of music, my target audience are not related towards a specific ethnicity. I know this from research/ case studies other real magazines which included their press packs of the same genre music as my magazine. Clash magazine was one of the magazines in which I studied whom also relates its magazine towards the genre of House/Electro. Question 5 – How did you attract your audience? In this question, I will discuss how I attracted and addressed my magazine to my audience from; the techniques used, new media technology, the models for instance the colour scheme and use of language and lastly the model from what clothing and how they address my audience. As the genre music for my magazine is House/Dance, this field to music is very known for being in the clubs and parties. Therefore I decided to make the colours very bright and bold to catch the audience’s eyes. The colour scheme for my magazine is a bold orange, a suttle yet vivid blue and white. As my target audience for my media product is towards the ages of 16-24, my language use on for instance the DPS had to be formal yet somewhat use of slang. This was done to relate towards the teens that would read the magazine and be able to understand it and make them feel that the magazine is for them. Also to the adults whom will read my magazine, I had made the language formal (Standard English) so it will be suitable for them. I used featured artists/DJ's that are real in the House/Dance music industry and non - real artists that would still seem as if they were in the industry. The names of the artists would be on the front cover to intrigue the audience into buying my magazine. I used featured artists/DJ's that are real in the House/Dance music industry and non - real artists that would still seem as if they were in the industry. The names of the artists would be on the front cover to intrigue the audience into buying my magazine. I also included regular items such as, free mix tapes which will allow the audience to listen to the latest’s House/Dance tracks on a mixtape produced by 'DJ Muir’. Also a competition for the audience to win tickets to the livests concerts and festivals. This has been used to make the audience buy the magazine, these prizes and giveaways will attract them therefore buying the magazine to achieve these regular items. Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called "tweets". I've used this as a media technology because it is very popular, my target audience are using Twitter as they are very into the social networking also it will allow the audience to check my magazines updates on upcoming things eg; competition, cover stories/interviews. Instagram is a fun and quirky way to share your life with friends through a series of pictures. Snap a photo with your mobile phone, and then choose a filter to transform the image into a memory to keep around forever. I’ve used this as a media technology because, it is also popular as Twitter, and it will allow the audience to view images of the magazine behind the scenes of interviews/concerts etc and also the target audience use Instagram personally. Website is a location connected to the internet that maintains one or more web pages. I've used this media technology because I think it would be better for the audience to go on a website as it would have more information on there than going onto Twitter or Instagram. Bright orange bomber jacket, vibrant print blue top, black skinny jeans and black New Balance sneakers. Made the model dress in a certain style suiting the genre of music (House/Dance), street and vibrant look. The way I attract my audience is from my main artist 'Lil AJ'. The way they attract the audience is because, there from London, their of the age of my target audience, from what they wear shows they are of the genre music that my target audience listen/ are interested in and show a good role model towards them. For the front cover layout, I was inspired by the layout of Q magazines cover of the American rapper Jay Z. It focuses more on the image (face of the model giving eye contact towards the audience). Also having all the text/features around the face and the masthead behind the head also still making the face/model appeal more dramatic. Other than using suttle colours for instance, red, brown, black and white. I decided as my magazines music genre is very fun (party club, house, Dance) I was influenced by Mixmag famous Dance/Electro magazine into using bright, energetic colours. Clash magazines contents page real helped me layout my contents page in a way that would appeal to the audience. I made my in artists photograph larger than the other featured pictures as it is the main topic or issue of my magazine which was influenced from the contents page in CLASH. For my DPS, I researched CLASH magazines DPS. Instead on the first page, they've used different kind of image and had made it small. However I had decided to use and spread the image on the whole page also using their technique by putting the main artists name bold above the model. For the Journalism, I've added bold quotes that were featured on the front cover that attracted the audience into reading he interview. Question 6 – What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? Here, I will be discussing what technology's I have used in the process of making my media production also on how my skills have developed. Photoshop was used to create the front cover of my magazine. Photoshop is often used for creating front covers for magazines. In using Photoshop, I gained a lot of skills and knowledge of the software such as, adding shadows onto the texts, editing the fonts in a style that would appeal to the audience. I used InDesign in creating the DPS and the Contents Page of my magazine. When using InDesign, I had learnt how to bring forward text, images or other features forward and also positioning them in a place whereby I wanted it to be positioned. Furthermore, InDesign helped me create and place my journalism writing on, making it placed like a real double page spread in magazines but also adding interesting designs. Also, by using Photoshop I had also learned how to remove the flaws/spot and blemishes from the main cover artist’s face (using the burn tool) which made the models face look clearer and like a real magazine. Blogger was used to post my journey and overview of the preparation of the making of my media product. It included me uploading, image, videos of for instance; changes to the magazine, case studies of real magazines that relate towards the music genre of my magazine, getting feedback of my media product from other students and teachers seeing in what I can develop and improve for my magazine. I have learnt how to comment on other students works seeing their progression as well as mine and also keeping as if a diary of my work towards the finish of my product on blogger. In the Photography Studio, I was able to take photographs for my front cover and DPS cover story of the artists. Also take some pictures of features that are included in my magazine shown in the contents page and mentioned in the front cover. In the Photography Studio, I have learnt many skills in the use of the camera (how to keep it in focus, adjusting brightness, setting it to black/white with using the camera). The technologies that I have used for my evaluation were; Prezi, Spider scribe, Vlog and Pikotochart. From using these technologies for my evaluation, I have learnt how to use different technologies and developing my skills from using them. For my magazine proposal/pitch, I decided to use Prezi because, as it was my first time using the software I wanted my presentation to look attractive to the audience watching, also entertaining as it allows me to play background music to the presentation which suited the genre music of my media production. It also makes my presentations look professional. Question 7 – Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product? The first development that was achieved was the use of colour/colour scheme. This development was achieved by contrasting with the models wear (the colours that were presented in her outfit). With my knowledge of Photoshop I was able to use that technology to analyse/scan the colours from for example the models jacket to get the right shade of the Orange to use throughout the magazine yet (Masthead box). I also used bright colours such as blue, orange and white which suits the genre music. On the other hand, on the front cover to my college magazine I blended with the covers image background (blue) and also contrasted with the college’s colour scheme from the website (blue, yellow and white) instead of contrasting it with the main models wear which was black. Yet both magazines show a bright and vivid scheme. My second development was on the main cover artist/model. In my front cover for my college magazine my model body is turned sideways, facing towards the camera from her left side hitting directly towards the light. This was due towards my models position also my models makeup, light foundation (concealed) making her face look too bright. However, developments were made I used a professional studio in which I could adjust the lighting also a different model in which her make-up was not too dramatic as my models one for my college magazine. Also with the knowledge of Photoshop, I can also adjust and make changes with the lighting if low or too bright. My third development was the layout of the magazine features. By researching the layouts of magazines (Q magazine/Clash). This influenced me to layout my magazine achieving it to look more presentable and clear for the audience to understand and look at similarly with the front cover for my college magazine. Furthermore, from the research of magazines I was able to organise the magazine from the position of the barcode, the price, and the features/regulars inside the magazine. Additionally, from the use of photography, I included taken photographs from CD/Vinyl stores, concerts and street photography it made my magazine look professional and look like a real magazine. The final development was the text and font style. Making certain text larger than others such as cover lines and masthead. Also with using a background box with a bright/bold colour to make the feature stand out also making my magazine unique and different to their magazines of my music genre which also makes my magazine stands out. This was also a development from my college magazine as I did not use boxes with colour behind my text to make the magazine look more creative. For example, Hip - Hop magazine XXL use box behind their masthead to make their magazine look bold, similarly mixmag make the masthead and main cover line bigger than the other texts to make them stand out and appeal more their audience. The use of colour scheme should be more suttle as the brightness of the image (models) features come out to strong making it look towards the audience too strong and bright to their eyes. Adjusting the brightness would allow me to use bright colours. Layout of features and imagery, making sure that it is not too busy and confusing for the audience to look at, make it clear yet attractive for the audience. Main cover artist/ model, making sure that I've identified their features (make-up) so it would not interfere with the level of brightness that the image would show. Also deciding on what they would wear so they can contrast with the magazine. Text and Fonts, making the attractive and most important text bold a simple for the audience to get intrigued from (Masthead, Main cover line, features and quotes).

No comments:

Post a Comment